Looking for the most effective web application firewall to secure your online business?
A web app firewall or WAF is your instant, virtual protection against Layer 7 attacks. While a vulnerability scanning tool finds security issues in your website, you still need to fix them.
According to the Web Application Security Statistics Report, companies take 146 days on an average to fix even the critical vulnerabilities. Imagine, your business being open to attacks for about five months.
Until you fix the issues in code, a cloud-based web application firewall or WAF is the best protection. It blocks all illegitimate traffic that tries to exploit the vulnerability. With options to customize rules to protect a certain vulnerability found during the scan, these are the best WAFs for online businesses.
1 Incapsula Web Application Firewall
Imperva’s Incapsula offers protection from all kinds of application-layer threats including SQL injection, cross-site scripting (XSS) and remote file inclusion (RFI).
With the several layers of security policies in place and a dedicated security team to look for threats, this WAF also offers CDN support and custom rules.
- PCI-DSS Certified
- Protection from OWASP Top 10 Threats
- Develop Custom Rules
- No False Positives
- Override Default Rules
- Virtual Patching for New Threats
Our Rating: 8.5/10
2 CloudFlare WAF
CloudFlare offers an enterprise-class security product that can protect any application from common OWASP attack vectors like SQL Injection and XSS. With automatic WAF updates and collective intelligence centre, this web application firewall is apt for companies of all sizes.
- Multi-Cloud Security Framework
- PCI DSS 2.0 and 3.0 Requirement 6.6 Compliance
- OWASP, Application-Specific, and Custom Rules
- Protecting Against Zero-Day Vulnerabilities
- Brute Force Protection
- Reputation-based threat protection
- Block or challenge visitors by country code
- Comment spam protection
- Block or challenge visitors by IP address
- Free for personal blogs and small sites
Our Rating: 8/10
3 AWS WAF
AWS is the largest cloud service provider globally and now with their WAF offering, it is also a serious security contender. Although AWS is relatively new, their product offers a wide range of features. The WAF offering promises protection against OWASP threats, custom rule availability, and instant response to threat vectors.
- Instant Protection from SQLi, XSS, and Other OWASP Threats
- Security Integrated with How You Develop Applications
- Deploy on either Amazon CloudFront as part of your CDN solution or the Application Load Balance
- Set Up to Monitor Requests
- Pay as you Go Model
Our Rating: 6.5/10
4 Sucuri WAF
Sucuri is one of our top choices in the segment for its ample protection, cloud-support, and WordPress integration. This web application protection tool syncs detection and protection to ensure that all vulnerabilities are protected through WAF. With zero-day protection, DDoS mitigation, and CDN capabilities, it is a preferred option for startups and growing businesses.
- Protection from OWASP attacks including SQLi, XSS, and CSRF
- Instant Blocking
- DDoS Prevention
- Zero-Day Attack Protection
- Virtual Patching and Hardening
- Caching Options with CDN
- Works with Other CDN
- Brute Force Attack Protection
Our Rating: 7.5/10
5 Alibaba Web Application Firewall
Alibaba is a surprise on our list gradually but firmly establishing itself in the Asian region. Alibaba Cloud provides cloud computing services, which is now spreading wings into other domains like security following Amazon’s lead. Although IBM also has a WAF, Alibaba is a better choice for those looking at options outside the Americas.
- More than 1,000 protection rules updated each day
- Zero-day Protection
- Real-time Metrics of Web Requests
- Customized Monthly Package
- Centrally Defined Protection Rule
- Managed Cloud Service
- 24/7 Monitoring
- HTTP / HTTPS Flood / DDoS Attack Mitigation
- Log and Block Mode
- Backdoor isolation protection
Our Rating: NA (no data available)
6 SiteLock WAF
SiteLock’s advanced, cloud-based web application firewall prevents common hacking attacks, backdoor access, and spam comments. Additionally, this security product also stops scrapers and spammers that try to steal you content, data, or traffic. With 5-minute setup time, advanced blocking tech, and SiteLock’s long list of customers, it is one of the top WAFs.
- Protect Customer Info and Website Databases
- Block Spam Comments
- Restriction on Backdoor Access to Website Files
- Protection from Scrapers and Spammers
- Prevent Common Hacks such as SQLi and XSS
- 5-minute Activation
- Bot Traffic Detection
- Detect Source of Attacks
Our Rating: 8.5/10
7 Radware WAF
Radware cloud firewall provides complete coverage against common attack vectors by implementing positive and negative web app security models. Its tech is based on adaptive policy generation that automatically detects threats and adds new policies for protection of your sites. With additional services like malware protection, device fingerprinting, and emergency response team for attacks, its makes a worthy WAF for your protection.
- OWASP Top-10 Coverage
- Zero-day Attack Protection
- Automatic Policy Generation Technology
- Malware Protection
- Fully Managed Web Application Security Service
- DDoS Protection and Mitigation
- Unified Portal for Security Monitoring
- Emergency Response Team for Attacks and Other Issues
Our Rating: 7.5/10
Hackers are evolving in their ways of looking for vulnerabilities on sites and blogs. It does not matter if you are a startup or a large organization, the automated attack tools at hackers’ disposal today do no differentiate. A single lapse in security can lead to financial losses, court cases, reputation damage and loss of customer trust.
A web application firewall is one of the most essential tools to ensure that you customers, content, and data stay safe. Even if you are starting up as a business, there are several of these companies offering free, basic plans that you can upgrade as you grow the business. Stay protected.